Thursday, August 13, 2009

Twilight Phenomenon

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've no doubt heard about Twilight. With four bestselling books about the saga and a box-office-hit movie, how can you ignore the fame?

Being a lover of books and all things strange, I decided to "watch the stupid teeny bopper movie" and see what all the fuss is about. Robert Pattinson isn't even that hot!

Well, I watched the movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean, it was a little silly and mediocre at best, but alas I did enjoy it. However, you're a great filmmaker if you can leave the audience wanting more; and want more I did! I can wait until the next movie though..

I received the second book, New Moon, as a birthday gift several months prior to watching the movie. I stuffed it in my overflowing bookcase to collect dust for a rainy day.

I couldn't get Twilight out of my head though! It was like a virus eating away at me! I was at work, fulfilling some mundane task. Will Bella be turned into a vampire? I was in class taking an exam. Will Victoria kill Bella? How did the Cullens become vampires? Who? What? Where? I was a googling monster!

Somehow I ended up sick with a real, non-twilight, virus and after 2 days of dying, I wandered into my library with the intent of finding something to read. Maybe this will trick my m
ind into not barfing! And there it was. Poking out amongst Harry Potter and Confessions of a Shopaholic.. New Moon. Bingo. For drama's sake, let me add that a light suddenly shot through my roof, casting rays upon it's sleek black paperback cover. I even heard Edward whispering, "Read me, Ashley. I love YOU! not Bella! Read me!" Just kidding, but it was something like that.

Fast forward one lifeless week and I had devoured the entire Twilight series. (Thank you Walmart for being open 24hours. Without you, who knows what I would have done at 1am when I finished Eclipse!) To write that I enjoyed it, would be an understatement. I unexpectedly completely fell head-over-heels in love with this series, the characters, and the story. Twilight is the most fascinating love story I've ever read.

So readers, what are your thoughts on Twilight? Have you read the books? Seen the movie? How does Stephanie Myer compare to the great Anne Rice? Yes, I went there.

Just think.. my journey into the Twilight phenomenon began as one cynical night of boredom. You get the last laugh this time, teeny-boppers!

No comments:

Post a Comment